Lab Manager (Phytochemistry) – AeroFarms AgX Ltd. (Abu Dhabi, UAE)
As a Certified B Corporation, AeroFarms is a mission-driven indoor vertical farming company transforming agriculture with global headquarters in Newark, NJ. Recognized by Inc.com as one of the Top 25 Disruptive Companies in the World, AeroFarms is scaling quickly to meet the demand for our fresh, locally grown produce that is setting new culinary standards. Recently, the company announced it will build a state-of the art research and development (R&D) center in Abu Dhabi to create an in country Agri-Tech ecosystem. We now look for seasoned professionals to join our Abu Dhabi entity for establishment and growth of our operation in the region.
- An incredible ‘change-the-world’ company with the eyes of the world focused on our success
- A team of motivated, intellectually curious, and creative individuals to support you
- The backing of some seriously impressive firms including Goldman Sachs, IKEA, Prudential, and other leading venture funds
Job Description Summary:
The Phytochemistry Lab Manager will join an experienced team of Scientists and Growers on the Research & Development team, working closely with multiple departments to ensure success of long-range goals and strategies. Reporting to the Director of R&D, the lab manager will be responsible for efficient utilization of assigned resources and for planning future operations and development, staffing, equipment and space. The lab manager will develop capital and operating budget requirements to meet current and future needs of the laboratory.
AeroFarms is looking for a Phytochemistry Lab Manager with an Analytical Phytochemistry background whose primary role is to manage and supervise activities necessary to operate a laboratory supporting applied plant physiology/agronomy research and manage a team of research associates and laboratory staff in our new state of the art R&D facility in Abu Dhabi.
Laboratory will support applied research focused on phytochemical analyses of specialty crops (leafy greens, herbs and berries), gown in climate controlled indoor systems. The main objectives of phytochemical research is to compare nutritional profiles, taste and flavor of specialty crops with particular reference to abiotic stresses on plant physiology.
Work requires knowledge of phytochemistry related research concepts and procedures for analytical tests, assays, extraction of phytochemicals and their qualitative/quantitative analysis, laboratory operations, international/UAE regulatory requirements planning and budgeting. The Phytochemistry Lab Manager will provide supervision and technical assistance to researchers on all aspects of laboratory operations, analytical procedures, data collection, data management, and analysis. The manager will prepare reports and work with the scientists and research associates to validate data.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, develops and executes lab operations. Supervise analytical tests, assays and extraction of phytochemicals from plant samples followed by their qualitative and quantitative analysis to support characterization of plant responses to environmental stressors in controlled environments.
- Specifies and procures equipment based on the analysis requirements of AgX, also commissions and writes the SOP’s for operation, management and maintenance.
- Qualitative and Quantitative analysis of primary and secondary metabolites, vitamins and inorganic elements
- Serve as resource on experiments, technical issues and collaborate with the Scientists and Growers to oversee scientific management of the phytochemistry laboratory.
- Work with research staff and management to ensure lab procedures are efficient and labs are well supplied and maintained.
- Responsible for compliance and audit preparation of assigned laboratory area for Biosafety, and/or other international/UAE regulatory reviews.
- Coordinate major equipment purchase and installation with vendor. Maintain and repair equipment when possible or coordinate external servicing of equipment.
- Manage inventory, ordering, and log usage of reagents.
- Provides oversight of all the activities in the laboratory including quality assurance and safety programs; monitors environmental risks and quality control; Operates, troubleshoots, and performs preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Plans and monitors the use of expenditures to meet organizational objectives and compliance; prepares budget documents and reports.
- Recruits, onboards new staff, trains, leads, mentor and manage a team of research associates and laboratory staff.
- Organizes, and leads assigned meetings.
- Talk, present and discuss the research in meetings, conferences and symposia.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- PhD in Phytochemistry/Analytical Chemistry. Or MSc. and equivalent experience.
- Experience of working with plant physiology and agronomy labs.
- Minimum 2 years of people management experience
- Previous experience in the GCC region is a plus
- 5-7 years of experience in phytochemistry R&D (post-doctoral research is considered as work experience)
- Experience working with HPLC, GLC, GC/MS, Spectrophotometers.
- Experience working with UV/VIS, FT/IR, TLC is a plus
- Strong background in phytochemical analyses and assays
- A proven record analytical chemistry of plants and a portfolio of examples of your work
- Aptitude with statistical analysis and related software
- Previous experience in the GCC region is a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Highly effective interpersonal skills
- Teamwork skills and a collaborative approach to work
- Able to multitask and prioritize the workload
- A flexible approach to work with the ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment
- Advanced skills with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- This is a full-time in person position with normal work hours and workdays. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
** This position requires a valid Driving License **
** This position may require international travel **
** This position requires a complete residency in Abu Dhabi, UAE **
** This position must be accessible during some US work hours for reporting and coordinating **
Powered by JazzHR